Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I access a wireless device which is not connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whmeyer

Programmer
May 22, 2011
Is there a way, in TCP/IP protocols, to access a device which is not connected? The scan for wireless access points suggests there may be some approach possible. The goal is this: I want to build a wireless device which can be configured by access through its wireless facilities, though it has not connected yet. I know that a (non-hub) device can scan for available hubs; what I have not been able to discover is whether a non-hub device can be made responsive to a broadcast query of some sort when it has not connected to a hub.

I will be designing the device in question, so it is possible to do many things, but I do not have knowledge of the TCP/IP landscape sufficient to answer the question.

Your post is difficult to understand so I will reword it as to what I think you are saying.

Are you asking if there is a way to access a device (wirelessy) that is not already connected to your wireless network and therefore it has no IP address on this network?

I say this because when you ask the question
"Is there a way, in TCP/IP protocols, to access a device which is not connected?"

there are several ways to interperpt "connected". Do you mean connected to the wireless, the hard wire, or network (as in it has an IP address)?

Also this device you want to design, is it a hardware device or software that would run on a PC or run on a WAP?

Take a look at my IT blog guides, knowledgebase and technical resources at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back