Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can an e-mail legal discalimer be added to outbound email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITJam

MIS
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hi all,
Our finance/legal department wants to add an email disclaimer to outbuiond e-amail. We have ES 2003 running on Windows 2003. Is there anything yet "out of the box" in exchange or an add-on, otherwise what is the best 3rd party add-on....thanks for any help...

Various threads on this already, have a look back.

GFI, Exclaimer, Nemx etc. etc.

Neill

In most cases, unless you're putting the disclaimer at the top of the message, their ability to be used for any legal issues is fairly remote.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Pat, True enough by the time you get to the bottom to see the legalese it's too late really, although opinions vary on that score depending on where you are operating.

However in UK and Germany various business information such as registered office, registration number etc. has to be attached to EVERY business e-mail since January. Perhaps this is what ITJam is after. Supposed to be all EU countries but the rest are being very slow in applying the EU directive.

ITJam - There is one product that can do simple footers on a whole domain basis (i.e. every single message would be tagged not just for certain people or groups) for about $100. But I can never remember the name of the damn thing. I have listed it in previous threads on this topic though.

Oh, despite my mentioning it above avoid GFI if all you want is disclaimers / footers. It is very overpriced and non-configurable if that is all you want.

Personally I use Nemx which cost us $1000 because we have two outgoing SMTP connectors on our boundary mail server. Would be $500 for one. Integrates itself with ESM and ADUC on the XC server which can have good points and bad points.

Exclaimer looked very nice when I played with it but was licensed on a per mailbox basis which made it very expensive for us.

Neill

We use thse people to forward/collect our mail. They add our footer/disclaimer, which we can edit anytime thorugh our control panel on their website. They're pretty good at blocking spam as well.

Exclaimer is by far the best local method I've seen. Far more flexible than anything else as it allows you to pull AD fields to assemble signatures/disclaimers.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Not very well. You could use an SMTP event trigger, but it's not as flexible as most people need it to be.

How to add a disclaimer to outgoing SMTP messages in Visual Basic script

But keep in mind:
If you use a MAPI client such as Microsoft Outlook to send the e-mail, the recipient does not receive a modified message. This is because messages submitted using MAPI are not in SMTP format when the e-mail triggers the SMTP transport event. Therefore, changes that are made by the event's code are not persisted.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks for all the advice, it's been awhile since I've been back to look at my threads, we had an unexpected death of a spouse in our small IT family and have been off course since... makes you think about how trivial e-mail problems and technology are ...
Well back to the world of Exchange Server and Microsoft...
58Sniper, I actually tried the kb 317680 solution, I didn't read far enough into the article to realize it wasn't going to work ... we use MS Outlook exclusively ... What about the SMTP event trigger? Can you point me in that direction? Unless it's free, management will hesitate to spend the $$ on a 3rd party add-on.
Thanks again.

Exclaimer is the best one we found also! Great product and it can do SO much! Worth looking into!

That is the event trigger. You're going to need to go to a third party solution. Exclaimer rules in that area.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks zbnet.

QS was indeed the cheap one I was thinking of.

I also note that Sunbelt are now offering disclaimer stuff as a sub-set of their Messaging Ninja software for $100 per year.

Might have a look at that myself since that is cheaper than the annual maintenance for my current product.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back