Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can a server file record when a web page rendered in Chrome was closed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpann

Programmer
Jun 19, 2007
GB
How can a server file record when a web page rendered in Chrome was closed ?

Hi

I see you posted it in the AJAX forum, so you know the answer : send an [tt]XMLHttpRequest[/tt] call to notify the server.

That is the good old portable way. But now there is the Beacon API's [tt]sendBeacon[/tt] Method, specially designed for this situation. Less portable for now ( see Can I use... beacon ), but more reliable.

Feherke.
feherke.ga

Feherke,
Thanks, but how is sendBeacon used ? I tried the following to store the time the page is unloaded but it didn't
seem to run the alert.php to change alert.txt.
<html>
<head>
<title>alert.htm</title>
</head>
<body>
alert.htm
<script type="text/javascript">
window.addEventListener('unload', logData(), false);
function logData()
{
navigator.sendBeacon("alert.php", nowhhmm() );
}
function nowhhmm() //with leading zero
{
var now = new Date();
var hournow = now.getHours();
var minutenow = now.getMinutes();
var hhmm = hournow*100 + minutenow;
hhmm = ("0" + hhmm).slice(-4);
return hhmm;
}
</script>
</body>
</html>

<?php
//alert.php
$data = $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA;
$file = 'alert.txt';// Open the file to get existing content
$prev = file_get_contents($file);
$total = $data . $prev . "\n";
file_put_contents($file, $total);
////fclose($file); //not needed ?
exit();
?>
Merry Christmas.

Hi

It works for me in FireFox 50.1.0, just the beacon is sent in wrong moment, because you call logData() when setting up the event handler - you should reference it instead :
Code:
window[teal].[/teal][COLOR=orange]addEventListener[/color][teal]([/teal][i][green]'unload'[/green][/i][teal],[/teal] logData[teal],[/teal] [b]false[/b][teal]);[/teal]
[gray]//                          no () here --^[/gray]

Regarding your PHP code, do you realize you always put the newline at the end of file, not between previous and new data ? ( Also no idea why you need the times logged in reverse order. ) Anyway, first of all, please check whether the web server's user has permission to write in that directory. Check your web server's error log, probably you will find something like this :
/var/log/apache2/error.log said:
[Sat Dec 24 15:42:55.416260 2016] [:error] [pid 7654] [client 127.0.0.1:55198] PHP Warning: file_get_contents(alert.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/ on line 5, r
eferer: [Sat Dec 24 15:42:55.416285 2016] [:error] [pid 7654] [client 127.0.0.1:55198] PHP Warning: file_put_contents(alert.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/ on line 7, referer:

peterpann said:
[pre]////fclose($file); //not needed ?[/pre]
Certainly not. $file is a string. You can't close a string.

Feherke.
feherke.ga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back