Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How best to graphically represent 25 hardware by count

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack91

Technical User
Apr 13, 2009
US
hi,

I usually use a pie chart if the quantity is less to do a hardware type by count or maybe even a bar chart.

But if the quantity of hardware is big like say 20 or 25 what is the best way to graphically represent it?

thanks
Jk

Hi,
Not sure what # of items has to do with how to display it best..
Pie charts are best for showing % of the total, but work for counts as well - if you are comparing counts of items, and one has many more than the others a simple line chart may be best to avoid issues of scale.

Can you explain more?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I have a summary of hardware servers,keyboards,audio,laptop etc -- but 20 to 25 such items.

Client just wants to see a graphical way to represent this to add color to the report :)

Clicking on each of the hardware will take user to an on-demand subreport with more details on the hardware (model name etc, like dell,cisco etc) -- this too needs to be represented graphically -- possibly by count I believe.

Let me know if you need more info :)

Thanks
Jk

Hi,
Except for questions of proportions ( 1 item needing a much larger bar or slice,making all the others too small to read, for instance) which Graph to use ( except for very specialized types like Scatter ) is mostly a matter ot taste..Try a few of CR's options ( including 3D,etc) and see which one delivers the most information in a stylish manner.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back