Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How are other dealers handling the certificate renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedphones

Vendor
Oct 11, 2005
US
Hi All,

Just wanted other BP's opinions on how to handle the pending 12/31/2017 certificate expiration notice. What does everyone feel is the correct way to proceed? For example, how are you informing your customers? How are you charging? What's their reaction? My struggle is for customers in the year all the way back who purchased a system, may or may not have a support plan with me or AVAYA. I am all about service, but obviously, there's a lot of potential remote or on site time here when you look at all the systems we might have out there.

Thanks

Mike

Our support team are going through and amending any that pop up the message when dealing with support tickets, but we are not actively doing anything more than that currently.

| ACSS SME |

Just renew the certificate during a login.

Most of my customers do have a support contract anyway.

We just hit them as they come up. If I notice the issue while I'm working on something else I'll fix it and make a note in the ticket.
However, since it also affects IP phones (some, not all), I do those after hours. Most of our customers have a block of hours for support and we just use that.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

This is freaking annoying and there should be an option to turn it off or allow a few third party certificate supplier. Not all customer do use certificates or even know what they are.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

We are following the same process as Pepp, if noticed whilst accessing a system I will usually update the certificate
if reported by a customer we treat it as a normal fault call & correct.

considering the number of system we have on record I am not going to try to work through them all unless reported as a problem

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

tlpeter said:
This is freaking annoying and there should be an option to turn it off or allow a few third party certificate supplier.

Change the preferences of manager so that it does not bother to check.

Thanks all. My concern was more that if we didn't get to it before year end that the system wouldn't operate correctly. We ran into a bizarre instance a month ago on a Muppet Mode unit where it actually expired. We could access it with manager, but not SSA. In Muppet Mode, we had to change to Essential, regenerate and then switch back to Muppet Mode. In Manager preferences I unchecked secure, none, etc, still couldn't get SSA to work.

If we have a certificate expire on 12/31/2017 what will Essential and Preferred customers without other apps like one-X or CCR, experience?

IPGuru (Vendor)14 Nov 17 13:38
Quote (tlpeter)
This is freaking annoying and there should be an option to turn it off or allow a few third party certificate supplier.

Change the preferences of manager so that it does not bother to check.
It is on the phones of the customer as well, cannot be ignored at all!

BAZINGA!

I was referring to the manager warning
if it is affecting the phones they the only option is to fix it properly (less than 5 minutes work)

That is what i mean, you should be able to disable it.
Not all customers use certificates!

BAZINGA!

If a customer uses certificates they should use "real" certificates, which on the other hand would force you to update them at least every 3rd year.
For internal certificates (self-signed by IPO) there should be a auto-renew feature since you most likely want it to work past the expiration date.

But guess everybody knows to check the certificate date now on new installations =)

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back