Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How and where are the deleted files on XP? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
I know when one deletes files using any brand of Windows that the files are really still on the hard drive taking up space. Can someone tell how I can get rid of these files? They are filling up fast.

>>Did you empty the recyling bin? Most all files go there and stay there untill you empty the recycling bin. It can be found on the desktop.

>>Technically, when you "delete" something completely, it still exists. On your HardDrive exists a array called the file allocation tabel that defines which "blocks" of data are used and which are ok to write to. This array imforms the computer not to write over the blocks that are labeled "in use" Data cannot be "deleted" from the harddrive, only written over. When you delete something you're just deleting it from the file allocation tabel,letting the computer know thoes blocks are ok to write over. Sooner or later thoes block will be reused. However, it shouldn't matter. When you view the properties of your harddrive, it reads the allocation tabels, so it should still show the extra space you made. I dunno, prob. more then you wanted to know. The only way to ensure that no "interesting" data is on the harddrive is to format it (if that's your case).

>>P.S. DON'T use windows XP. Windows XP is simply windows 2000 for dummies. If you know how to operate a computer, you do not need XP and all its wizards. Plus, Windows XP has huge security holes because of its "remote access" crap.
Be smart and run Windows 2000 Pro! (be sure to upgrade to service pack 2 though, which is found at windows update)

If u have are deleting sensitive data from a drive FDISK is bettter that completely wipes the drive and re creates the file allocation table so in affect u get a new drive not for the novice user thou.

Thanks for the info. I got XP "Home" installed as a package deal when I bought the computer. I told them I wanted 98SE but they did not have any on hand (they said).

I do not like XP. The helps are so bloated and then you can't get to where you want to be anyway.

I have been using/repairing/teaching computers since 1987. Formating or FDISK is not a problem for me. I am thinking I will call the computer store back and tell them I want 2000 Pro SP2. Or I might get linux and can windows. I never liked windows but had to use it at work or in the computer lab. The only windows that was ok was 3.11. But, the newer computers won't handle it or the internet stuff nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back