Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Access 2000 functions when launched via shortcut ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamoose

Programmer
Oct 16, 2005
MX
I have a network server pc running Windows 2003 server and Access 2000. My actual Access database resides on this server.
I have a workstation pc connected to this server which also has Access 2000 installed. I have a shortcut on this workstation pc for the actual Access database residing on the server.
My question is that if I launch the shortcut on the workstation on which computer is the actual Access database running from ? I need this database to run from the server pc to be launched from the workstation pc. Is there a command line switch perhaps that will enable this feature or something similar to this ?

Thank you for any assistance.

The database is running on the workstation. I do not know of any way to use Access the way you suggest.

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

If you use a split database and put the front end on the workstation, the processing will be done on the workstation.

for what purpose do you need it to run on the server?

vamoose said:
I need this database to run from the server pc to be launched from the workstation pc.
Access always runs on the local machine. It's just like opening a Word document, the program is executing on the local machine, it's just that the MDB file happens to be located on a file server.

You need to split the database in to a "front end" and a "back end".
It is an easy process.
Go to;
-Tools
-Database utilities
-Database Splitter
-Split database
and follow the prompts from there.

It will put your tables on the server in a file called whatever_be.mdb and everything else will be in a file with the original file name that is automatically linked to the "backend" file. The file with the original filename (or frontend) can then be placed on the workstation (or several workstations) and the server.

One thing to keep in mind with doing things in this maner is that if you update or add a query, report etc. it has to be updated on each workstation (or just copy the file to each workstation)

Mark A. Kale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back