Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How about cutting off the number part of my keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslmvl

Vendor
Jan 26, 2008
GB
Hi,

I have never used the number part in the right hand side of my keyboard and I need space for my mouse beside the keyboard. I have been looking for the same keyboard but without the number part. I don't want to get some mini keyboard since I am quite familiar with the one I am using.

Do you think I can cut off the number part of my keyboard...say...by a saw?

I know I need to do something on the lines inside it before I cut it, can you gave me some instructions?

Thank you in advance.

Check out this only 30 bucks and supposed to be full size sans numeric pad:

Or this although not sure of its "full-sizeness":

If you hack your current keyboard up, odds are you will just end up with a sawed in half keyboard that doesnt work.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

If you hack your current keyboard up, odds are you will just end up with a sawed in half keyboard that doesnt work.

I agree - I have dismantled many different keyboards for cleaning purposes and can't visualize one that would not be destroyed by cutting the right side off, in fact most have the electronics under/around the LEDs above the NumPad with the cable connected on that end!

Saw that baby off, and I guarantee you'll destroy the keyboard completely. You wouldn't try sawing off the right half of your TV screen to make it fit a cabinet, would you? Same principle applies.

piperent

Agree it would destroy the keyboard.
How about building a platform that would cover the numeric portion of the keyboard and be big enough to mouse on?

You could probably safely remove the key caps from the numeric portion for the keyboard to allow the platform to be a little lower.

I think it would be a much better idea to just buy a keyboard without the numeric pad. There are many different models out there i'm sure you could find one that would suit your needs.

Just do a search for "keyboard without numeric keypad". There are 3700K hits. There are even some with built a in mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back