Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

House Cat 5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

campyracr

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
US
I am purchasing a new house. It is not wired for anything but phone & cable. I want to run Cat5 to several rooms with the router in the basement.

I can crimp cables like a champ. How does one connect the cables to the jack (behind the wall)?

You will need a punchdown tool with a 110 blade. Match the colors on the back of the jack.

In case the jack is labeled by pin number use the following:

1) White Orange
2) Orange
3) White Green
4) Blue
5) White Blue
6) Green
7) White Brown
8) Brown

Use the same pin placement in your RJ45's in the basement and you'll be good to go.

You can also use a jack that does not require a punchdown tool. Panduit has a jack you can terminate 568a or b and all you need is channel locks or any pliers to seat the wires into the jack. then crimp your patch cables to length.

568B code is the way to go. Remember the 300 foot rule when centering the hub.

568B is only the way to go IF you crimp your modular plugs on the same way. So long as both ends are the same, 568A or B won't make any difference.

Panduit brand can be done with a pair of pliers and no punchdown tool, the leviton consumer packages stuff comes with a limited use tool designed for pushing the wires into the IDC contacts.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back