Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hourly backup of transaction logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

crmayer

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
I am trying to set up a maintenance plan to backup our transaction logs hourly.... I have it all set up, but it is not running on the hour. In fact the only time it has run since I did this is when I manually kicked it off. Where can I look to get an error message? I need to find out why it is not running and get it fixed. Any ideas?

The maintenace plan creates a SQL Server Jon you need to look at. Open Enterprise Manager (EM) and drill down to Management..SQL Server Agent..Jobs.

In there you should see a reference to the maintenance plan and/or something to the likes of a backup.

Open th job and see if your schedule is set right. Close the job then right click on the job and choose to show history. Once that is open, check the box to show all the steps and see if there are any errors.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Have you set it up a job to run the plan? If not, go in Enterprise Manager, Management, Jobs and create a new job which runs your plan. Click on Schedules and then new schedule and then change to set the increments of time to run the job.

Then just OK out of the screen -- give it all a name as is appropriate.

Margaret

Eyespi20....when you use the maintenance wizard it automatically creates a job - as JayKusch pointed out. That's one of the features that makes using the Maintenance wizard so common.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

I have another job just like this that runs on another database of ours and it runs fine. I have tried to set this one up just like that one, which it appears to be, at least from what I can see, but it is not running.

If I check the history it looks like it ran OK the last time I manually ran it, but it does not show that it has tried to run since then. And running every hour, it should have run twice by now.

One thing I did notice is that the one that works show that it was Executed by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM and the one I created show SERVER\Administor. Would that matter?

If the user makes a difference, how can I change the one I just created to NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM?

I might have figured this out.... I only run this job from 10pm to 8pm. I stop it to run another job that backups up the entire database. So I got looking at the scheduler and I noticed that the next run time is 10pm tonight, the start of the hourly schedule...... Sorry to take up time, I did not notice that earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back