Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hotmail??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletch

MIS
May 3, 2000
US
I am trying to setup outlook 2000 to bring up my hotmail account, but all the info is how to set up outlook express. Does anyone know the pop and smtp for hotmail? Any help will be appreciated.

I've also tried this and come to the conclusion that it's not possible. The guys here at work also concur but we could be wrong.

Carty

A tiger? In Africa?

While Web2pop looks very intriguing, it's one way.. in other words there is not provision to upload a reply (yet) I will watching this products development with great interest when they get that piece in place.

Mike S

Keep an eye out for the next version of Office to have this built in (Like Outlook Express 5.x does now)
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

As far as I have been able to find out Hotmail only allows you to set up POP accounts to pull in traffic from up to four other email accounts. I have never been able to find where Hotmail provides the POP or STMP addresses for you to set them up in Outlook or any other email utility.

If you want to use a free web based email service which allows you to set up their POP and STMP addresses within Outlook check out Yahoo. I'll fore warn you that getting the STMP to work correctly is a little tricky. If you need help getting it to work correctly, checkout Yahoo's online help first, and then if you still need help, let me know.

One thing you will need to be aware of up front is Yahoo requires you to attempt to receive your emails before you can send your outgoing mail which conflicts with Outlook 2000 which attempts to send before it receives. So to get your outgoing mail sent, you will have to press Outlook's send/receive button once to get your mail and then a seccond time to have it send your mail.

Hope this helps. s-) -Bobby

oops-
forgot to include my address -Bobby
bwgunn@icqmail.com

Hello,
Hotmail cannot be set up in Outlook 2000 only Outlook Express. The hotmail mail server is an HTTP server not POP3 and only Express gives you the HTTP option.

Regarding Yahoo's POP mail, I used it for several months without a problem until 3 months ago. It quit responding to my Exchange server's POP3 sendmail requests and I got the dreaded " no transport available" error. That was fixed in a few days but then it happened a few weeks ago and has never worked since. Neither Outlook Express nor Outlook will would work via POP3 and that keeps Exchange out of the picture as Express doesnt use Exchange. A sniffer trace shows the email being sent but it took DAYS for it to be delievered and repeated requests to yahoo help had NO response at all. The final error was a message seen via the sniffer that said "out of disk space" ( where have I seeen this before?). At this point I gave up completely on Yahoo POP for sending mail and did some research. I found a different vendor which has been very stable.. mailandnews.com I liked it well enough to purchase their "Webmail" product which gives me access to my Exchange via HTTP while on the road. Much easier then Outlooks web access and doesnt require IIS4.

Mike S

FYI: I have had absolutely no problems retrieving my Yahoo mail into Outlook 2000 (been doing it for several months now). Don't know what I'm doing right.

Even my send/receive is as it should be.

Mary :)

Hello,
You can use Outlook or OLExp to pull in your Yahoo mail. You must first sign up to be a Yahoo!Delivers member and agree to receive special offers from them then set up your email account in Outlook or OLExp w/pop3.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com as your mail servers. Go to the email in Yahoo and click on help and it'll give you instructions in order to pull your yahoo email into Outlook97,98 or 2k, OL Express, Netscape Messenger or Eudora. I have no problems pulling my yahoo mail into OLExp.

It's not the pulling that was the problem.. it was the sending of POP mail through yahoo. Neither Outlook or Outlook Express was able to work for 3 weeks.. The error messages were vague.. like "host is out of disk space" and so on. The interesting part was for a week it would take the message.. no errors.. but they went into a black hole and it took no less then 7 days for the message to be delivered. The hows and whys are unknown at this point. It had happened twice in 4 months so I switched to mailandnews.com and it has not missed a beat since..

Mike S

To utilize the above link you will need to cut and paste the full pathname (both lines) into the address bar.

If you just hit the link it does not pickup the "ID=KB;EN-US;Q234704&" portion and the page will not be displayed.

Thanks to Disey for the link. If you find Disey's link useful, be courteous and click to mark the post helpful.

-Bobby :cool:
bwgunn@icqmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back