Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hotmail log-on problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvertonFC

Technical User
Nov 24, 2004
GB
Hello

This is a second posting, because I have still not been able to resolve this issue.

When I try to log-in to my Hotmail account I enter my user name and password and press submit. For some reason, I am then redirected back to the log-in page. (I have no problem logging-in to Messenger.)

I was advised on a Microsoft Communities site to rename HOSTS as HOSTS_OLD and to delete any passport.net and Hotmail cookies. I do not have any such cookies and I cannot rename HOSTS, because Windows thinks another program is using it, but no program is using it.

So, I am back to square one.

In Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Advanced I have Override Automatic Cookie Handling checked, and Accept First Party Cookies and Accept Third Part Cookies both checked. I have Always Allow Session Cookies unchecked.

Also under Privacy | Sites, I have a number of sites in there, but passport.net and Hotmail and not there.

In Tools | Internet Options | Security, I have the settings set to Medium.

In Tools | Internet Options | Advanced, I have a lot of items checked and unchecked (I am not sure which should be checked/unchecked), but I don’t recall changing anything there.

I am using Win XP Home.

Any help would be appreciated.

EvertonFC

How do you know that nothing is using the hosts file? Open it & take a look at the content - what do you see? Start with a couple of good AV & Spyware scans - you can find lots of suggestions in the FAQ section of many forums including this one.

Original post.

Log-on frustrations!
thread779-1182837

Have you tried deleting and re-entering your passwords?

How To Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

There is a "Manage Passwords" section obtained via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. In the resulting window you will get to it via the Advanced tab.

You cannot access your Hotmail account from Windows Messenger after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back