Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hotmail backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart87

Technical User
Jan 29, 2007
GB
Hi all

I have a client who uses a free hotmail account. And they want to transfer all their emails including sent items extra folders the whole lot into a pst file. Do you know any software which can help? i have tried to pop it into outlook but you need a paid account to get it to work. Does anyone know of any software which can extract all their emails for them to a file to save them having to send everything to another account.

Thank you for the help in advance

Hi Stuart,

I've setup a free hotmail account in Outlook 2003 using HTTP and had no problem exporting the whole thing to a PST.

Have you tried taking the following steps :

1. Open File and select Import and Export...
2. Select Export to a file > Next
3. Select Personal Folder File (.pst) > Mext
4. Select the hotmail mailbox and check Include subfolders > Next
5. Choose filename and location > Finish

To test Open File and select Open > Outlook Data File...
Does the new mailbox appear with all the emails?

Thanks for the reply JEngles

I cant seem to set the email account up using HTTP. For my HTTP Mail Service Provider i have it as Hotmail. Entered my user name as the email address and then the password i use.

When i first set it up it was coming up with the error that this service wasnt available for free hotmail accounts. Just tried it again today and i have an error "Inbox synchronizing headers" This service is currently unavailable(0x800CCCF0).

I have only just set up this email address becuase this is for testing purposes before i try it on the clients email address btw. I know microsoft have stopped people with free hotmail email accounts from accessing their email from outlook so thought there might be somthing that could get around this. But strange how you have got your working.

Thanks for the tips on how to import all the emails into a pst file will be useful when i get this working.

My Hotmail account created sometime in year 2000 works in Outlook Express. But when I tried creating a new account, Hotmail won't let me access it from Outlook Express.

I think all free Hotmail accounts created after the change in Hotmail policy can no longer be accessed from an email client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back