Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hotel Wireless network security

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorney

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
CA
I would like to know if a regular user connecting to hotel wireless network without using VPN to a company network, is subject to security hazard for his local files ?

I got asked this question and couldn't answer that as I know from fact that we can see other devices, but what would be the best to protect them against intruder that would either see or open their file...

Firewall ( software) ?
setting up login and password on incoming users ?

What is the easiest and efficeint protection ?

Thanks

At the minimum, you would want to have a properly configured firewall on the laptop computer. You would want to be very carefull of any file or print sharing. Anything sent wireless without being either ssl or vpn would be vulnetable to viewing/modification. Probably would also want to be concerned with Antivirus and making sure patches are current.

These are usually open networks and you must defend the computer and the data accordingly.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back