Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hotel internet solution 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwc3

Vendor
Feb 17, 2004
US
I Have seen them in high end hotels just never noticed who made it it uses DSL like technology you are able to deliver
a single line ext and a 10/100 base T network connection off one pair of wires I am looking for a unit like this for a 150 room hotel .....

I would seriously consider WiFi as a solution. Most, if not all, running laptops these days have a wireless adapter. Make sure that the wireless solution can deliver B/G/N signals and you will cover everyone. This solution can also be used by the many cell phones out there that are WiFi enabled.

The problem with the solution that you are asking about is that EVERY room will need a DSL modem type device for the laptop to plug into. This will become a point of failure, trust me!!! Also, the customer will only be limited to a laptop to access the internet, no cell phone WiFi!

A few Access Points providing WiFi will be a much cheaper solution!

If you did not take enough time to get it right the first time...

What makes you think that you have time to fix it?

thats not the question i asked the customer wants a wired solution i am not looking for an opinion ??

Can you define 1 pair?

Do you mean a pair i.e. two wire?
Do you mean 2x cat5?
Do you mean 1x cat5 and 1x phone?

Are you sure it's DSL and not vanilla ethernet?

And to your reply, the poster was giving advice. If you are going to do a solution that's going to be a nightmare to set up and maintain, as well as expensive and offers an alternative solution, you should listen to advice and not just slam it down. As a supplier you should be offering this advice and not just doing what the customer wants, no matter how stupid the request. It called customer service.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

SMC has a VDSL unit that I have installed for a hotel customer. the unit that the customer purchased was a 24 device unit with a 25 pair anphenol connector that we took to a 66 block for distribution. You do end up with a dsl modem type device in every room.

Wireless is not a bad option in a lot of hotels, but if you have any Government officials that want to stay in a hotel, they typically can not connect to a wireless network. I have run into this in a few of the hotels that I service. In those hotels, they did wireless to most of the hotel and then several rooms with wired as well. Maybe that would be an option to thing about.

a pair of wires is 2 conductors the world around ???Yes its exactly what the fellow after you described and it can not be wireless I realize its expensive and I did not come here to argue what the best solution is I am having trouble looking for the unit like the TUT .....

Wow - Well, I would like to thank everyone who has taken time to post anything, even if it was just suggestions.

One thing to remember when posting here:

This site is for your problem but also the guy who comes behind you and searches a topic to see if it answers their question. You might not want wireless at all, but the next guy could see the pro's and con's and make their own decisions. So, just because you don't want it doesn't mean no one should post it.

Also asking what the wiring is exactly is a great question when it comes to solutions. All you have said is a pair, is it Cat3? What gauge? Heck it could have paper sheath.

It is common place to provide those who ask questions with answer to help find the solution. They are taking time out of their day to assist you, condensing answers don't help anyone.

hey that smc product is perfect it will run on Quad and that is exactly what is required something that will work on a
plain jane cat nothing ..... Thanks JR!!!!!

and it supports wireless access points too oh boy!

I thought I would add my three cents for future people reading this.
-- In regards to CATEGORY RATED cable -- it ONLY APPLIES TO ETHERNET TRANSMISSION!!!! NOTHING ELSE! It has nothing to do with POTS, DS1, DSL, ISDN, USB, SCCI, video, audio, etc.

If people take the time to educate themselves with the standards, and try to understand what this stuff means, we might be better at our jobs.

....JIM....

I have used the SMC VDSL as well. It works very well, Not one problem in 3 years. Not even a broken modem.

We used NetSys before we used SMC and had modems failing on the NetSys.

We also put the dsl modems in the IDFs to plug assess points into.

ok what does that have to do with the original post?

SMC is now LG-Ericsson USA and the have improved the product
1Gigabyte and video on demand is a available and it will tell you the status of the pair as soon as it connected.....if I had a choice between hardwire and wifi in a guest room I'dd choose the VDSL connection....!

Hi cwc3

are you looking to extend the ethernet via a tut modem system or us a dslam to bridge the existing internet connection? I know of someone whom maybe able to assist with TUT devices and you can pick up a dslam from netcomm.

One thing to be wary of, are they using analogue phones or proprietry digital sets?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back