Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot Swap SATA Drive for backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgal

MIS
Jan 3, 2003
CA
Hi there.
Been doing backup to disk with backupexec for a long while however I wanted to expand the availaibility of drives for a while now. Just running into a small problem.

Using a whitebox server with an ASUS board with an ICH5 southbridge and onboard SATA. The data/os drives are on an older promise sata raid card (Raid 1) with 2 sata ports (in use).

I bought 5 vantec EZSwap SATA caddies and one caddy enclosure (SATA 5.25" Internal). I was going to do hot swap SATA drives and rotate them daily. One major issue. ICH5 isn't SATA Hot swappable. Not many mobos are it seems.

I need to find a way to take most of what I have invested in, and turn it into a hot-swap backup.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

You could try Granitedigital
they have quite a few external Sata hot-swap drive systems

Cheapest way and best way may be to just get a SATA Controller card that supports hot-swapping, unless your expansion slots are already full..

LSI Logic SAS3442x-R

3Gb/s Searl Attached SCSI PCI-X card with RAID. It can do PCI slots, but not as good as PCI-X.
It has 4 external and 4 internal drive capability. LSI has an 8-port extrnal also. External port is multi-lane cable.
Internal is SATA. Costs about $350.

No config needed for JBOD. RAID config thru BIOS.

Vince

it's just for backup, so something under $100 bucks is good. I'll check out the granitedigital site.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back