Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosts file not resolving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphonzo

Programmer
Apr 9, 2003
GB
I'm trying to develop a Wordpress site behind a holding site. The problem is that when I try to access the index.php file it redirects to the index.html file.

I've spent all afternoon trying to resolve this, and the most likely option seems to be via the hosts file (which also took ages to be able to edit due to permissions).

The file is set to: "5.77.45.195 tkukitchens.co.uk/index.php", but when I go to the tkukitchens.co.uk/index.php page it still redirects.

Can anyone help?

The hosts file can only specify the domain name (hostnames) the server decides what index file to serve.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

The problem is that when I try to access the index.php file it redirects to the index.html file.

That is a web server configuration. You need to check your web server config for the file to serve when no file is specified. Usually it defaults to index.html but can be changed.

The Hosts files does not take file names or anything outside fully qualified domain url names that are associated with an IP address.

i.e xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

See thread1716-1719736 as well for this problem.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back