Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hostnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGMCG

MIS
Jan 3, 2003
IE
I have just taken over as network engineer in a new company and would like to standardise naming conventions for my switches and routers.
Is it possible to change hostnames on my switches and routers without affecting the network setup.
The routers and switches do not use hostnames to connect to each other.
Thanks
Tony

Hostnames are just that; names to refer to the equipment other than by IP. You can still connect (telent, ping, trace)by hostname but does not effect the switching or routing. I have changed all the host names on my network so that the switches and routers have a standard convention. My naming scheme helps me ID the location and function of that peice of equipment. If my help desk calls and tells me SWF1U206R119 is down I know exactly where and wha that is. (3 letter city code /1# location code/unclassified or classified network/ 3# building code /3#room code)

Just my 2cents, hope it helps SF18C
CCNA, MCSE, A+, N+ & HPCC

"Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!"

Cheers SF18C
I think its time to get of them knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back