Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hostnames Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainfs

Technical User
Jan 17, 2006
GB
Hi,

After adding an object (i.e. cisco 3750 switch)into my submap I've defined a label for the switch, defined a selection name, and then entered the ip address and hostname (e.g. test-sw) details in the IP Map window. However, once this is done and established if I right clcik and choose properties>IP Map on the switch in question the Hostname has defaulted to the IP address and not the hostname (i.e.test-sw) i had defind in the IP Map window.
It wont let me change this value either as it is 'Read-only'.
Any ideas on how i go about changing the hostname to give a more descriptive name rather that the ip address?

Btw, i'm running NNM 7.5 on windows server2003

Best regards

Hi,

If you put an entry in DNS or your local hosts file for the device, then click on the 'Poll Node' option, you should get the name sorted out.

NNM uses the following order to decide what hostname to use :

1. The DNS or hosts file name
2. The sysName (via SNMP)
3. The IP address of the device.

It uses the first of these that is available.

HTH.

Nigel Bowden

Hi Nigel,

Thanks, that solved the problem and the ip_addresses have been resolved to hostnames.

Thanks once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back