Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting my own SIP trunk? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I've been trying to get a handle on this.

If I wanted to host my own SIP trunks, is there a guide or a howto or a FAQ?

(to clarify, I know how to set up sip stations... the phones... I'm talking about the sip *trunks*, which connect to the outside world... the ones with a phone number).

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I'm no SIP trunk expert, but I do know that you'd want to get a Session Border Controller to interface the SIP trunks to your PBX. Everybody seems to make one these days. It basically acts like a firewall and does all of the interfacing with the SIP trunks. There are also free versions available.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

I don't want a provider... I want to BE a provider.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

So you're wanting to become an ILEC or CLEC or just run your own SIP trunks for your own use?

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

The company I'm working with is working on becoming a CLEC, yes.

Just my $.02

--Greg

I just started a thread for a SIP proxy server on VPS. If this is what you are after, please comment on it. If its more hosting an asterisk PBX to connect a number of phones to voip service providers with a landline phone number, the procedure is very similar.

Regards
Jeroen

to connect a number of phones to voip service providers with a landline phone number"

gbaughma's most likely response and mine too: [banghead]

I thinks it's very clear in 2 posts that the OP does NOT want to do that.

[clown]

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

OK, incorrectly worded, to connect with a sip trunk to a voip service provider who then gives you a land line number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back