Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting Mulitple websites from a single IP under IIS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Severe

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2001
Hey everyone,

I know this topic has been covered a couple times, and I have taken the time to read the majority of those threads, but I need some clarification. Warning, this could be a large post.

Here's the system setup:
Windows 2000 Server, Servicepak 1, IIS5 on a single IP.

I have disabled the default webpage and the default ftp.

I'm currently hosting two seperate websites (using the advanced hostheader option), and one of those has one virtual domain.

Here are my questions:

1) The Primary FTP directory contains individual directories for each website. That way users are directed to their respective directory upon log in. However as more sites are added, the permissions are getting confusing. Each directory is given; Everyone -rw, User -full, OtherSite Users -denied. Due to using .cgi and .perl to do page updates via an http interface, I have to allow read/write/modify to the Everyone group. (Or do I?)

Is there an easier way to set permissions via the IIS MCP to handle this in such a way that users can not view the contents of other directories other than their own?

2) By using the virtual domains I get an address like and that works fine. How do you set it up where it would resolve like Would that be done by using a local DNS with an A record entry? Also, would that have to be added to the Zone file?

3) Can anyone recommend a good book or two that covers these type of issues? I don't want an MCSE study guide, I want a real-world topics book. Specifically that deals with the security, permissions and multiple hostings.

Thanks in advance for any information provided!

Severe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back