Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting Java Web Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyman10

Technical User
Dec 7, 2008
US
Hi,

I am new to Java Web Services. A team member and I are beginning a new project where we are gathering some data from eBay via their API and then taking that data to do CRUD actions on a local MS SQL Database on our network. We want to write this in Java.

The architectural model we chose has the service running on a machine on our network since the MS SQL database is not accessible from outside of our network. We want this service to be constantly running so we want to make sure the OS we choose for this computer on our network will be one that will support this service constantly getting the information from eBay and performing the actions we need on our SQL server.

We have downloaded a Linux OS (ubuntu) and we can choose to install it as Tomcat Server or not. We also have IIS7 running on Windows Server 2008.

So the question is which of these should we use to host our service and any explanation of why would be awesome

LAMP
Tomcat
Win Server IIS7

Thanks

So you want a process to consume eBay data and update a local DB. A Java program as a windows service or as a cron process would do the trick, so I don't think the OS is a relevant decision. After all, Java is OS-independent.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back