Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
I was just curious about peoples opinion on hosting companies. Me and my partner are currently using Godaddy, and so far, im not too impressed, but they are decent. I am not trying to start a war here on saying "who is the best", as I know opinions vary. I am just trying to gather opinions, as we might be switching host soon.

Thanks

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

You have not described what type of site you are running nor what kind of things are not impressing you with your current host.

Are you seeking dedicated hosting for $200/month?

Well it appears they fixed the support part now. When I was using it a little while back, it was only half working if you were lucky. We have also had issues setting up a permament access to the site. Only my partner who setup the account has full access. We have tried setting it up for me, and it allows it for one session, then after that, I am restricted again.

We do have ftp setup for each of us, and that works fine. But it was mainly their support that I am not liking, and another notice we recently got from them. Apparently you have to "pay" them to keep your information private.

The type of site we are running is a gaming clan site. If you need any other information, let me know.

The site we paid for is a 3 year contract, and I don't remember the exact total, but it was under 200 I believe.

Thanks

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

We're happy enough with GoDaddy for domain purchasing, but can't really say too much about their hosting as we use DreamHost. Having said that, over the last month or so, I've been battling with an incredibly slow shared IIS server hosted by GoDaddy with incredibly cut-down access and no basic offerings like gzip (!).

DreamHost offer many packages, including one with 100% uptime, unlimited storage and bandwidth, etc, for $8.95 US/month (we're not on this plan, but are on a plan that gives us more bandwidth and more disk space for every day we're with them - which has been many years so far).

Hope this helps,

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

I've not personally used GoDaddy, but have talked to many who gladly moved to other hosts. But again, I've just not used them.

I have used HostingPlex in the past, and they were okay - a smaller one, but by far not the best. Support was maybe so-so, and performance okay for static sites.

I've used 1and1 for a couple of sites. Support is halfway decent, in my opinion, and for static sites, performance is very good. For database-drive (CMS) sites, not so good - or at least was my experience. It would seem fine one minute and the next down-right horrible.

I later read this review at
That pretty much had me hooked to try them out. They (as well as others) are owned by a company called MidPhase. It's a hosting conglomerate which seems to be growing continually through new customers and just buying a couple small competitors. Anyway, the price is fair (the others were a little cheaper), but the performance is far above the others I've tried. They also have superb tech support compared to the others. Granted, it hasn't always been perfect, and I did have a few issues on a couple of occasions, but all in all, I think it's been great.

Just recently, the support has greatly improved. Questions are answered lightening fast - or at least mine have been. Also, they give you FAR FAR FAR more access to your server's hosting package details than the others. You can tweak various settings to better performance for your site if need be (a necessity for Drupal, at least). Also, many of the shared hosting plans don't allow shell access, which is a big plus to have, or so I've read. I've not directly used it yet, but in planning to do so, I asked for access the other day, and within probably less than 5 minutes, I had access, and a confirmation email from the rep who switched it on for me.

I doubt any shared hosting plan can be perfect, but I've been VERY impressed with AnHosting/MidPhase. I've been using them now for 3 websites, and a handful of test sites on 2 shared hosting plans.

But still, my story pales in comparison to the owner of Blamcast.net. That guy also built which I think is an awesome site for checking into modules (add-ons) for Drupal-built sites, and he runs all of that off of the shared hosting accounts... one account, actually, I beleive he said... for a few sites.

Now I must hush. [smile]

I use GoDaddy for domain names only but I have three clients who sites I have taken over that use godaddy for hosting. Personally, I wouldn't use them as they like to nickel and dime you for features that come with other webhosts for free.
I have used fatcow.com but they are so so...pop email has issues at times... Mostly I use ixwebhosting. I like the control panel but have to warn you their "user manual" has errors in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back