Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Host software for 9310

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris969404

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
Has any one seen Veritas or Legato for example running the robotics on a 9310?

Yes, a large percentage of 9310's are driven by Veritas NetBackup, but the customer needs StorageTek's ACSLS software in between to do the management. ACSLS is a Unix program, and runs on Solaris, usually on an dead basic workstation like an Ultra 10. There is also an AIX version of ACSLS but that is a lot less common. Why do you ask?

I have a customer who suggests that Sun/Stk are threatening to remove ACSLS if they cancel the maintenance agreeement for the 9310 with STK.
It is my belief that the customer purchases ACSLS when he purchases a 9310. He may well pay a licence fee for upgrades etc. What is your answer on this point please?

Blimey... that's a new one.

It's never happened in Europe before. I can't imagine how Sun think they could get away with it as the 9310 pre-dates any normal library standards and the hardware will not work at all, in any fashion, without the ACSLS or HSC software to drive it. If there was some alternative then maybe, but threating to withdraw it is holding a shotgun to the customer's head and unlikey to be legal.

I hope they throw Sun offsite and call their bluff. Have they got a copy of the EULA to look at?

This may be of interest. It's from the Sun Website.

There is no command or utility in ACSLS 6.1.1 ( and earlier releases ) that will allow the user to retrieve the ACSLS license information.

However, a new utility called get_license_info is included in ACSLS 7.0 PUT0401

Thanks for your input. I was pretty sure that they were not allowed to do that.
I think Sun/STK are getting worried but also they say they are ceasing to support 9310 in 2010. But even that does not stop the custoomer continuing using it and I am not sure if that means they are discontinuing support for the L5500 as well.

yes, the L5500 is the same stop date.

When the 4410 got to EOS they extended it by a year. I would imagine the 2010 date is to try push customers faster down the SL8500 route, but if 2010 comes and there are still loads of them out there, then I can see that date slipping also, as most would end up in the hands of TPM's for another couple of years. Other dates for your calander are:

Jun 30th 2007 for LTO-1
Dec 31st 2007 for 4490 tapes and 97xx libraries.
Jan 31st 2010 for 9490

Thanks George, I still supporting a lot of those you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back