Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

host port on ds4800 will not log into switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mliafrate

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2002
US
Hello All,

I have an odd ds4800 problem. I am trying to connect one of the host ports on the 4800 to a Brocade switch. I get the port to log into the switch with it's wwn. I get a link on the switch but the ds4800 says that the host port on the controller is down.

Here is what I've done. Switched host ports on the DS4800 from port 1 to port 3. Replaced the fibre cables, the gbics, tried to configure link speeds and all with the same results, I get a link on the Borcade switch but the host port on the DS4800 will not log in to the switch. I have two other host ports that work fine on that controller.

I do have a failed disk condition and we will be replacing that drive in the next couple days. Could it be possible that with the controller in an error condition like that the controller will not log into the switch.

Any ideas.

Thank you all in advance.

Sometimes the port shows a 'down' state if there is no server is using its fiber! Did you check that?

Regards,
Khalid

We were just trying to get the host port to log into the fibre switch. We'll see if we can connect directly to a host though. We have tried everything else at this point. The drive might be there today and we can clear the error condition and then see if the port will log into the switch.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back