Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Host Header Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweevo

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Hello,

I have a DNS entry set up on my network, and created a new site in IIS with the relevant host headers. I initially had problems getting this to work, but on looking at it again the next day they did work.

I have made changes to the host header settings since, which do not work despite restarting the website, IIS and server respectively. Presumably there's some delay between making the changes and them becoming "live".

Can anyone explain this, or tell me of any settings/options I might be missing? Of course, it's quite possible I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Ok, I've sort of got this. The problem was caused because the site I was trying to set up the host headers for was on port 85, not default 80. The DNS was obviously pointing to the default port and showing the wrong website.

However, I know the port number is irrelevant on the DNS, so is there anything I can do in IIS to get the correct site (on port 85) to work just from the host URL?

For example, typing "test.domain.com" in the browser goes straight to the port 85 site?

Thanks

Not to worry, I've sort of stumbled across it myself.

Do you have a reason for running the site on a non default port ? Using host headers allows you to run multiple sites on the same IP and port number.

The delay sounds like a DNS lookup up issue. It seems to be taking time to resolve the host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back