Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hoping to use DW CS5 to view PhP Site Locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjgrayson

Technical User
Jun 1, 2004
US
First off, if you can send me any pertinent links, I'd appreciate it. I've used this forum before for javascript issues, but I don't know exactly what to enter in the search terms to help me with my current problem. Here goes:

I can read and code HTML & CSS. I understand Javascript well enough to know I need a bit more programming background, but I can link a js script to an html page and know what getElementbyID(xxx)stands for and how to work with event handlers. Two years ago I took a course on Dreamweaver CS3 and Coldfusion and understand the principles of server applications. My PhP class doesn't start until next week. So. . . . . .

I was asked to see if I could update a simple logo for a web page. I have the ftp information stuff and use filezilla. I copied the entire site to my hard drive. I then noticed they were PhP files. The actual graphic file is in a separate footer file. Cool. I recognized from the code to go check the footer file know how to change the source code to point to a new graphic image. Here's the problem:

I would like to view the index page as it would appear in a a browser, and am having no luck. I'm trying to use DW CS5 as a simple tool to view the index page (that will also serve up the footer file) so I can see how the artwork will look with all CSS styles applied. Can someone either assist me or point me to a tutorial that will help me set up my CS5 site definition for a local server configuration to view the site I've copied over to my hard drive? DW won't render the pages unless I configure the testing server correctly. Ummmm, two years ago I did load WAMP, and have some version of mySQL installed on my machine but I need a refresher course on connecting databases. Again, I just want to view the PhP pages in a browser so I can check the logo display and placement. I won't be adding any recordsets or doing any database calls.

Oh. Important. The site is copied locally to a special folder on my hard drive. If these are PhP files, should I move them to a subdirectory associated with WAMP before I'm able to connect? It's all coming back like a bad dream, but I think that's one step I should take. Thanks.

Thanks in advance,
W

...yeh, you need to follow the wamp guide so that wamp can see the source file:

...then point your browser to your local address, then in dreamweaver you just need to setup a site that points to the same wamp directory so you can edit and preview on the fly.

andrew

============
============

Posted, and answered here: thread434-1636779

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back