Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hoping for number plan advice for multisite SV9100 (digital/analog) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismec

Programmer
Mar 12, 2018
US
Hello,

We are in the process of getting an SV9100 system installed at several sites (less than 10), which will be networked together. This will be a digital/analog system only, no VOIP. I am looking to have site 1 extensions in the 1000 range, site 2 in the 2000 range, site 3 in the 3000 range, etc... I know on some systems there are ranges of extension numbers that are reserved for things like voice mail or various other features. So I'm wondering, if the SV9100 can easily accommodate say 8 sites, with each site having it's own range of 1000 extension numbers? Thank you for any advice!

It would be better to use 1000, 1100, 1200, etc. Numbers 5-9 are defaulted to internal feature operations.

What beleveder said. If you do your initial numbering plan like you originally said you will kneecap yourself with running into service codes. Then all your pre-done literature goes to crap and every site will be different. Also are you doing Netlink or other networking? I have seen people do this like you were saying and all I can say it's a hot mess now. Also, doing 1XXX allows a centralized VM to be a hell of alot more efficient.

This seems to be a pretty common limitation of phone systems. Large blocks of possible extension numbers are reserved for system features. I really wish that werent the case. It would be great if it were possible to implement a number plan that allowed say, all of accounting at site 1 to be 1100-1199 and at site 2 to be 2100-2199, etc... A thousand possible extension numbers makes that possible, but there are just enough differences between the sites that a similar scheme is not possible with only 100 extensions. Is it not possible to change some of these internal feature codes to require a # or *?

Thank you very much for the advice belevedere and CoralTech. CoralTech, we were replying at the same time and I did not see your post until I had posted mine. Yeah, the documentation would be all wrong and I can see that being a problem. If we were to change the service codes, I think we could keep them pretty standard between the sites but I'm certain if I try to deviate from your advice that we will have problems down the road. I just wish it werent so : ) I believe we will be using Netlink when the system is installed. I am interested in understanding how 1XXX allows a centralized VM to be more efficient.

Keep in mind netlink only works on sites that are connected by fiber optic for low latency. If you have that then you don't really have a numbering plan problem because they all use the same numbering plan. It really is just one big system. It is just a matter of sizing the extension ranges. I like netlink but it has only 1 specific place it works.

Do not try to use Netlink over a VPN tunnel. It might work today but there will be days were the remotes sites spend all day rebooting because the latency on the tunnel is too high. A former company I worked for sold dozens of the SV8100 systems with Netlink over VPN and had to break them all and use CCIS over VPN. If the CCIS has too much latency the call might fail but the remote system will not reboot every time that happens.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World.

Those that understand Binary and those that don't.

1XXX allows you to dial ANY site by burning only 1 number in your DAT tables in your voicemail. Also, you should make sure the company installing the system knows what they are doing. Too many people today make the mistake you were about to make without thinking the logic through. The benefits of experience and taking computer programming logic courses. Netlink works well but the network needs to be solid. I've have them all over the place and when the network is solid the systems work very well. Also, remember 911 stuff. Having blocks of numbers 1100, 1200 etc you can quickly look at a site and see precisely where that ext is. You will also be needing to use ARS to make sure 911 calls are going out in the proper way. I see this all the time in cabling where the IT guy gets WAY too involved and can't see the forest through the trees. KISS cannot be over stated. It also allows you to use other numbers like 3XXX or 4XXX for routing and ringing to relevant sites that make sense and are easy to determine AGAIN call flow. Also remember you have UC services as well you can use across the network with a dedicated server or virtualized machine. I would most certainly get this well documented and flow chart your call flow. I would keep most phones the same to each other and NOT make every single phone unique with needed buttons like CAP/Park and intercom keys. I cannot tell you how many times I get called in to fix systems that were installed without thinking about the ramifications of what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back