Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hope I'm posting in the right place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dBjason

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I hate double-posting!

I have a P.O.S. 1.7G Celeron with a Seagate drive, running WinXP.

Problem is this: I have a Samsung external hard drive (USB). When I go through Explorer->Properties->Hardware->Properties->Volumes->Populate, I read 57,223 MB for Capacity.

The problem is, when I right-click in Explorer and select properties, it only shows 26.5 Gig available. And I can only save less than that much. I should be able to use all 57G of space. I just formatted the external disk from Explorer, it did no good.

It was partitioned to 2 logical drives before, but now suddenly I can't see both (H:\) and (I:\) Drives. Just the H:\ drive.

How can I reformat and repartition my external drive? I tried to format from explorer, but it only formatted the first partition. I still can't see the other drive. Don't know what went wrong.

Or at least how can I see the other logical drive again???

Thanks in advance,
Jason

You need to use disk management - run diskmgmt.msc. This allows you to add/remove partitions/logical drives as well as formatting them.

and from Disk Management you will need to format as NTFS to gain use of the entire drive. XP, by design, allows maximum 32GB FAT32 partition creation, though it'll support larger ones.

That did the trick. Thanks a million!

-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back