Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOOK UP MULTIPLE ROUTERS ON DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm3262

Technical User
Oct 9, 2007
US
HI- A question for someone.. we have 9 Children, we have 10 pcs in house. They are constantly complaining one got thrown off club penguin for causing a disturbance, so all others cannot get on, because of same ip address. We have both Verizon DSL + Comcast Cable. I thought if I went out and bought 10 Linksys Routers, we would have 10 different ip addresses, so noone is constantly fighting and arguing.. Now the hard part.. What else do I have to buy and how to go about hooking these up? Many Thanks, Lisa :))

Hi Lisa,

Wow, what a setup you must have! Unfortunately, buying 10 routers won't necessarily give you the needed "different" IP addresses that you want. Your DSL and cable modem only (typically) have one (outside) address assigned to them, and any devices behind the modem basically have inside, so to speak, addresses. For example, your outside address from all PCs will appear to be 144.44.44.44 but internally your PCs will be 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.10 . (Only valid internal addresses.)

If you have 2 different providers (DSL and cable) maybe you can set it up so the "trouble makers" are on one and the angels are on the other because you probably have 2 different external IP addresses with 2 different providers. Personally, I think you have a perfect setup now...I always thought that nothing keeps a group in line better than peer pressure! 'Course, you can probably talk with your providers to get additional valid outside IP addresses for additional cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back