Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qey

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
GB
We are currently using our Opt81 with a RLC going across our wan to a BT managed DSL home GWay into a 9115 and eventually a happy smiley user on the end of a M3905

So what’s the beef?

To a non technical manager it's sometimes difficult to quantify the costs when they see advertised DSL for £20 a month and were paying 5 times that for our managed circuit straight on to our wan.

I'm aware of QOS issues, contention ratio's and alike with using a pipe straight into the www, but I’m intrigued to know if anyone has done this?

Using my existing RLC configure it (and ofc allow through our fwall's) to a static address at the other end and the 9115 to have an extension sitting off it?

BT tend to mumble quite a bit when I try to get advice on this so just looking for any ideas\thoughts out there..

Rambling as ever

Q

We also have a RLC in our 81c. We found that connecting across the public internet was unusably bad. It wasn't just marginal, it was awful. Sometimes we couldn't connect and the times we could the call quality began degrading to the point where the call dropped. Sometimes it was quickly, other times it would happen after a few seconds or maybe a minute into the conversation. It works fine on our LAN & WAN so we don't suspect anything other than QOS issues.

if quality is not an issue, then let the manager save the $, he'll be a hero and you'll have a maint problem.. we have the same thing here. vpn access with voip, but users that don't rate major bandwidth, complain..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

As suspected guys - i knew QOS would be the problem, and i dont want to go down this road - just wondered where I'd stand if i set one up myself on the RLC and what if any complications in doing so.

Youre right JP but in these days of putting everything to tender...some people get paid to ask the question with out really caring what the answer is as long as the figures look good - par for the course, id just like to test it, prove the point and put it to sleep.

thanks as always

Q

Just make sure when you test it you make more than a couple of calls. Also make sure that you do it different times of the day. Because you may have a couple of clean calls then all the sudden everything gets choppy on the next calls. Let us know what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back