Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulsaMatt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
US
Since we are thinking about implementing a wireless network here at the factory ... I decided to get a head a bit and get a home network working in my home. Right now I am using a D-link 713P Router/WAP with a D-link DWL-650 PCMCIA card. Now when I first connected it and got it configured it worked fine, went downstairs from the WAP And the connection got spotty. So I moved the WAP downstairs (real intention was for use downthere anyways) ... got a nice signal of 11mbps. After a few minutes I was all of like 8 feet form the WAP And the connection died totally, no signal at all. I tried drivers and firmware but that didnt help the situation. So I gave up for a while, all of a sudden I got the connection back and it slowly climbed back to 11mbps. After about 2 hours of good times, the connection fizzled for like 5 minutes and then died. Spent another 20 minutes pulling my hair out trying to figure out the problem, then it suddenly started up again. And so it continued all night, it would connect speed would slowly rise, and then fizzle and die ... 20 minutes later it starts all over again. I Dont know what to think anymore, its quite frustrating. The connection issue was there no matter if I was 10 feet from the AP or through a floor). I thought at first it could be a cascading router issue (I have my cable/dsl router and then my WAP/router behind that. The WAP router has DHCP disabled, settings match the card, and all the wired connections on the WAP work perfectly.

Any ideas on the wireless issue? Thanks in advance.

Do you have a 2.4 MHz cordless phone that you were using? I have heard from some people, that they have had problems with their phones interferring with their home wireless network. I use a home wireless but my cordless is 800 MHz. I am not sure if there is any fix if this is your problem. Dan

Yeah I checked that (mines 900 MHz) ... the only thing I can figure is that my apartment is small and I have alot of stuff in the apartment. Something like 10 computers, a full fridge and a mini-fridge, big tv, fans, all other kinds of elecronics. What I am figuring is that there was just too much interference from my things and who knows what my neighbors had/have.

So sadly I just decided that the best course of action was to return it. Returned the router and card, got my $210 back, and then bought a $40 5-port switch with a $20 rebate and a ton more cable. Its alot easier, but not as cool :p

THanks for the help anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back