Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Wireless Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbtmage

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2004
US
Hello all. I am having a bit of a problem. I am trying to connect a computer in a separate part of the house with our DSL via a wireless connection.

.. this is the setup
I have our DSL coming in and going through the modem to a 4 port netgear hub. One patch cord goes from the hub to a wired computer (this works fine) The other patchcord goes to a wap54g wireless access point.

.. on the other end
There is a Wet54g network bridge plugged into the ethernet card on my PC (I am using the bridge because it just happened to be lying around at work)Even with the default settings I can't seem to get this thing to work. On the IP settings for the bridge what should I be using for a gateway, the IP of the access point? On the computer that the bridge is connected to what should I do with my network settings on the computer itself. DHCP.. and if so where in the world would it get an IP from? This is just a straight access point I'm using, not a router. Ah, I'm lost. I was able to enter the IP I set for the bridge on the wired computer once and I was actually able to get into the web config section - so they see eachother.. it just won't work?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Well all your PC's will have to be in the same subnet to get your network work. You are probably getting one IP assigned by your ISP. I think you are probably using this IP on you first PC(maybe with DHCP).
If you want to use your internet from both PC's you will probably need a routing instance doing something like NAT in between. Then you would use for example a private adressroom like 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 on your internal network. On your router you need to translate these adresses into the ISP's adress.
This is only one possibility how to do it. I think I heard something like Internet sharing on Windows XP. Never worked on that and don't know how to do it. But if it is possible it might be cheaper...

Yeah I figured I would end up needing a router. It was a long shot that I'd be able to get it to work with strictly an acceess point and no router. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back