Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home vs Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus300

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
AU
I have decided that if and when I get XP, I am definitely getting Pro.

It appears to me that instead of putting extra stuff in Pro, they took half of it out of Home (if you get what I mean). [Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
World-Wide Alliance of Evil and Twisted People
[red]"Experimentation by Example is the best learning tool" - Exodus300[/red]
[pc3]

They didn't so much take it out, as hide it (literally in many cases) - I'm running XP Home, and most of the things I want are running on it!

regards Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

XP Home is missing the two way firewall that Pro has. XP home can only block incomming requests but lets everything out. XP can block both ways. Mind you I don't even use the firewall as it is not as informative as zonealarm and I have a hardware based router.

There is a policy editor (I can't remember the name) that doesn't come with Home, but you could get it off a friend and put it on.

Also Pro has the ability to network over firewire! There are probably a list of features, but for the average user they will not notice the difference except price.

Personally I choose to go with Pro, for the stupid reason that it has more stuff!

Regards

Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

And only Pro has IIS. (While you USED to be able to tweak home to add IIS, I think Microsoft plugged the hole that enabled this. After I was forced to reformat my hard drive I was unable to get IIS to work in XP Home and had to upgrade!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back