Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Theatre PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucky101

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
AU
Hello,
I am wanting to buy a device that store my 10g mkv files that i sream to a media player device called a popcorn hour.
I need to build a hard drive array that is fast enough to cope with this streaming. Is a motherboard with a lot of sata ports going to be fast enough running software raid? Or do i need to get a raid card.
Can someone reccoment a good priced card that does raid 5 with 8 ports internally.

what's the needed performance to keep the stream going ?

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

Serial read IO is the sweet spot for SATA or SATA in RAID 5. If all you're worried about is serial read performance, look at the drive specs, your requirement, and go for it.

What RAID 5 gives you over a single drive or RAID 0 is fault tolerance. It can withstand the failure of a single drive. If you go for really bigt drives (1TB or more) you may want to consider RAID 6 which protects against double drive failures.

XMSRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back