Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Telephone Star Run wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEAXMAN

Technical User
May 21, 2014
US
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here so I am just learning my ways around!! I am involved in the IT industry and am trying to learn more each and everyday. My topic today comes from one of my own personal projects. I live in a house (3 story including basement) and would like to have star run telephone connections. My home was built around 2000 (1998 to be exact) and has loop or daisy chain CAT3 wiring. The problem is that I would like to install a phone system in the basement where all of the wires come together on a punchdown block. Each jack as I said is connected to the next one. What would be the best way to get this kind of home star wiring? Ideally I would be able to rewire each jack and not have to complete new runs. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

For consumer SLTs or TLTs daisy chaining jacks isn't a big deal. If you plan to switch to something a little more fancy, (NoKSUs or a keysystem/pbx), then you would be looking to run a dedicated cable to each jack.

For pure analog and/or digital phones, CAT3 cable is fine. However due to minimal price differential, others will suggest installing CAT5E cable and hardware in anticipation of converting to VoIP.

For how to go about this depends largely on how cables were installed during construction. Were the cables stapled to wood within the walls? If so, you may have to open the walls to pull new/additional cables.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Yes. In as much as the existing wiring is "daisy chained", one run, then all the others bridged from it, you indeed would need seperate runs. This then begs the next question. Do you do wireless for your computer (data) connections? If so, then one run to each location is fine. If you do hard wired for your computers, then you should run 2 to each location. 1 voice/1 data terminationg the voice on the 66 blocks, data on a patch panel. I hopw this sounds clear. Thanks.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Thank you both for your responses. This definitely makes sense. From having the central termination point be in the basement, I can wire the basement and main level very easily. I guess the question becomes what is the best way to wire the 2 floor and the attached garage(garage has no basement underneath it). I have read some like to go outside through the roof and drill in, however I do not really want wires having to go outside. I would like to try to keep everything inside. I have looked at wire raceways and aftermarket electrical boxes; they look okay but that would be last choice for sure. The problem is getting the wires to the second floor. Has anyone here every used plenum cable and used the ventilation vents as a way?? Also, how would one get to the garage?

And yes...while doing a project like this I would for sure include Ethernet cabling, much more reliable and faster than wifi!!!

Thanks!

Without seeing the garage, how it is constructed and how it is situated in relation to the house, answers are going to be general. If the garage is attached, you might be able to drill straight through. In any event, someone who knows the local codes should be consulted beforehand.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

used plenum cable and used the ventilation vents as a way"

Don't do that!

You cannot run any sort of wiring not related to HVAC in HVAC ductwork.

I suppose your house is 2 stories with a basement. If so you wire the 1st floor from the basement and the 2nd floor from the attic. Run your wires from the basement to the attic via a plumbing chase (look near the big drain line) or make your own through closets/walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back