Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Networking Win98 to XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLewis1

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
I am trying to set up a home network linking a Windows 98 machine to a Windows XP Home Edition computer. After running the Windows XP wizard both machines can ping one another and the XP machine can access files on the 98 machine. However, from Network Neighborhood the 98 machine persistently asks for a login, which I can't get past to enter the XP. I have tried logging in using various XP user accounts with no success. Someone has told me that only XP Professional will allow this type of networking. I am a networking neophyte and would appreciate any suggestions.

rl

THIS IS NOT A SOLLUTION

but since you are using windowsXP you can install an ftp server to that mashine and use this servis to transfer data beetween the two pcs
security risk is involved to this decision though since ftp is not a very secure way to doing things so you should monitor the outgoing connections
best way to do it is in my oppinion with firezone

First, turn off that nasty “simplified file sharing – (NOT) recommended’ on your XP box, it’s half the problem. This will allow 2K-like file sharing – much more secure. You’ll find that setting in Windows Explorer tools menu > folder options > view tab. It’s the last one on the list. Now, on the XP box, add the primary username and password for the Win9x box via Administrative tools > Computer management > users > right-click on users, select add new. Don’t use the users applet to add the user to your XP box.

Don’t forget to make a share available on the XP system after disabling the simple sharing stuff, and then make sure that the 9x user has permissions to see it. Hope this helps.

DosMaster
"To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI-Be part of something special:

Thanks DosMaster

My problem is i installed Yahoo Msngr and every account gets a shortcut to anything I install. I cant delet it from the other users accounts. I don't seem to have any control over their accounts but i could live with that if they didn't get a copy of everything I install in the Admin account for myself

I'm hoping I can get a lil more control using this information.

==========================================================
Here is what I found at google.com in regards to simple file sharing..

SEARCH STRING: "simplified file sharing " XP

Set Permissions for Shared Files and Folders
... two ways. If you chose simplified file sharing, your folders can be shared with ... in
Windows 2000.) However, in Windows XP Professional, you can also set folder ...
- 21k - Cached - Similar pages

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Share
... your shared folder. If simplified file sharing is enabled, you see the Simple ... is implemented
by default in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional ...
support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q307/8/74.ASP - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back