Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullshoot

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I have setup a small home network with two computers. my son's is #2 and mine is #1.
the #2 system will not see #1 at all. it says the connection is made, but it will not see the #1 system. i have pinged system 2 and it returns a good ping.

The #1 system will not see the #2 system either.
ping is fine.

All setting are, as far as i know, correct.

I have the "connected" icons on both computers.

Running windows xp pro on both systems.

Linksys 5 port switch.
Internet shared connection is fine.
What could be the problem?

Check under both machines:

. that the same Workgroup name is used. Use all CAPITAL letters to enter the name, do not exceed 12 characters, and have no spaces or odd characters. WORKGROUP is fine as a choice.

. Do not use blank or empty passwords.

. Make sure that under TCP/IP, Properties, Advanced, WINS tab, that you explicitly enable 'use Netbios over TCP/IP' and not the default.

. do an IPCONFIG /All on both machines and look at the value returned for "Node Type". You want to see Broadcast or 'Not Defined.' Any other choice can be problematic. See Hans-Georg's notes on resetting the Node Type value and other troubleshooting here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back