Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikramissa

Programmer
May 15, 2001
US
hello ppl.
i have a dilema here, i have recenntly purchases a second pc for my son, and i thought that i would network it up, so that he can use my insternet connection and pritner.
so i purchased a hub, cables and two network cards.
i installed netbui, tcp/ip, and i could see both the computers in network neighbourhood, but could not get it to ping each other, after hours of fustration i finally got them to ping, but then i installed aol 6.0 and for some reason i cannot ping nor can i get network neighbourhood to find the other pc, even if i try to find it through the search.
can any one help me please, do i need to uninstall aol 6.0 and try using aol 5.0, or do i need to reconfigure my pc .
any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Are you able to share files back and forth? If so it is likely that its the aol. I use broadband and IE 5.5 so I haven't had any issues. Try uninstalling aol and see if you can share files. If this works then aol probably is the culprate. Is this a dial-up conncetion 56k?

Definitely it's the AOL. AOL is notorious for screwing up home networks, it certainly does NOT get along well with Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) protocol. Get rid of AOL, you're better off without it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back