Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network...request timed out error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roccy82

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
AU
Hello all,

I have just set up a home network (or still trying to) as i have just purchased a D-LINK 504G 4 port DSL router. I have 2 clients both running XP with SP2, both connected via the router.

At the moment both computers can browse the interent. I am trying to setup file / printer sharing. 1 computer can access the other, however the other can't get any response, just the error - request timed out. I have tried a few things, and i can't think what else to try!!

Computer 1
- IP is 10.1.1.5
- can browse the internet
- This comp has xp firewall (however i have disabled it)
- can ping itself & router IP. Thats as far as it goes if i try ping Computer 2 IP or DNS i get "Request timed out".
- Trying to access Computer 2 shared folders i get the error: \\sharename is not accessable...

ROUTER
- Router IP is 10.1.1.1
- This does have a firewall on it, however it is set to "Disabled".
- Router assigns IP's through DHCP and all clients are sent to obtain an IP address automatically

Computer 2 - (where everything works fine)
- IP is 10.1.1.3
- can browse the internet
- can ping itself, the router IP, my other computer (IP & hostname), can share files folders.
- This comp has xp firewall (however i have disabled it)
- Has McAffe security center (i have disabled all features [even shut all processes running in msconfig])

I have tried running the setup a home or small office network wizard, on both clients, and this error still occurs. All shared folders have sharing enabled with the options "share this folder on the network"
& "allow network users to change my files" both ticked on both computers.

Can anyone please help with what i could try next? Or what have i missed! Thanks in advance and I do apologise for the long post but i tried to put most of the details in here.

I had a simular problem. On computer 1, run through the network wizard. When you are asked how this computer connects to the internet, select 'other'. When the wizard asks about connection to other computers, there is a selection connecting to other PC's on the network and sharing - select this option. I don't have the exact phrases since I'm at work and on a Win2000 pc, but this is what I had to do to finally get the XP laptop to be able to use my printer on the XP desktop.
Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back