Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network converting to wirless.... advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheltered

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Hi all, first post here for me so go easy if i seem a little stoopid. ;O)
Basically I have 2 pc's in my home. Both access the internet using a Barricade SMC7004ABR broadband router. The broadband is cable into a WebSTAR cable modem.
All works fine no problems, can share files, printers etc between the pc's also.

Now, I'm now wanting to share the internet connection with friends next door, 2 laptops (one a Mac). The obvious answer would be to go wireless as they can then access the internet in any room of their house. Would also like to set up so we can share files, play games between the pcs etc if possible.

Advice i was after really was, can i use my current router to share the internet? I have two spare ports on the router and i was thinking can i just attach two wireless adapters to those ports and cards in the laptops and 'hey presto' it'll work?? Or are we going to have to buy a wireless router and do away with the Barricade router? Seems a waste of money to just ditch my current router.

This is my first adventure into wireless, so i'm a little clueless.

Many thanks
Pete

You need only one wireless access point at the router. both laptops should be able to use it. We have 28 laptops using one AP in one of our classrooms.

Thanks franklin, would this give an equal balance on traffic though?
The broadband connection is 3mb so we each want 1mb when online which the router should load balance. If if we have just one AP then will that AP get 1.5mb (as its only one one port of the router) to be split between the 2 laptops?

Thanks again.
Pete

There is no load balancing most cheaper AP's , if have someone downloading a big file the other users are going to feel it . Also you may have problems getting to your next door neighbors , most of these AP's will do your house ok but may have trouble getting next door .

You can buy two powerline ethernet adapters for less than US $90 and be done with it, if you are on the same side of the power company transformer (very likely if you live next door). This is cheaper and easier than wireless:
I have used Netgear XE102 adapters exactly as you plan. It was the easiest thing in the world -- plug them in and connect to your existing router, and to a switch or router at the friend's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back