Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network between laptop and desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbongo

Technical User
Oct 29, 2001
NL
Hi all,

I've bought a laptop a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to build a small network to share files,printers etc. So I bought an ethernet(10/100Mbps) card for the laptop and another one for the desktop(10/100 Mbps also). I also got an UTP cross wired cable (level 5). Both computers run on windows 2000 prof.

I've installed the cards and connected the cable, but I can't get a connection. I've tried to configure the TCP/IP settings but I must be doing something wrong.

Can Anybody help me with those settings???

Thanx in advance

What you can do is to set one to the ip address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
The other to 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet mask.
They then should be able to see each other.

IF for some reason, this does not work, you could try enabling Internet Connection Sharing on one while leaving the other as a client. This should force the other pc to obtain the ip address of 192.168.0.2
Enable ICS by right clicking network places and going to properties. IN the window, find Local area connection and right click it, there should be a submenu called sharing, click it.
Here you can setup the ICS.

IF at first the client will not obtain a good ip address,
bring up a command prompt, type ipconfig /release <hit enter> This will release the ip address, the type: ipconfig /renew <hit enter> this will renew the ip address.
The client machine should now have a good ip address of 192.168.0.2
I hope the above ideas can help you out.

Are you configuring them with the same IP range? And you said you bought a CAT5 cross-over cable which you have to have for a direct PC to PC connection.
Right click Network Places-> Properties-> Local Area Connection-> Properties-> TCP/IP-> Properties. Then set a range that both addresses fall into ie. 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 etc. Check the box in the Local Area Connection properties near the bottom that says show icon in taskbar (so we know if your getting a hardware conn) and post back with what you got now.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

One other thing to keep in mind is what you mean by &quot;seeing them&quot;. If you are using ping, then you are testing tcp/ip. However, if you are tryig to look in my network places and don't see the other computer, they may be in different networks. Follow the above advice for tcp/ip and use ping/ipconfig to verify. then check the workgroup to make sure they match.

Don't forget the obvious, check your crossover cable..

Another way to try to connect to each other, instead of trying to go through network places or network neighborhood,
go to start>run and type \\the other pc's name and hit enter.
If you do this from the win2k machine, you will need the name of the 98 machine. If you don't know it, right click on network neighborhood and click properties. Select the middle tab, the pc name should be listed.
[lightsaber]

Make sure NetBIOS is bound to the network adapters: if for any reason the NetBIOS service isn't set up on each machine, friendly names won't work since their presence will not be broadcast on the network. For example: &quot;computerA&quot; is located at 192.168.0.1

with regards to UNC paths, [\\192.168.0.1] will work even when [\\computerA] won't. If NetBIOS is functioning correctly, both will work.
If NetBIOS isn't functioning, you won't get anything in Network Neighbourhood either.

NetBIOS is analagous to DNS for small peer-peer networks, and essential to hostname to IP resolution.

If you try both forms of addressing you can usually tell problems apart - but generally use the IP numbers first. Much more reliable... When you can ping across addresses, you're nearly there.

Good Luck
HTH Win2000 Network Administrator

You should just be able to set up a workgroup using the wizards in each os. On your NT/W2K machine go to control panel>system>click network identification. Click on the Network ID tab. Follow the yellow brick road, being sure to check the option without a domain. (I use the work version, but they are pretty much the same. - &quot;My company uses a network without a domain&quot;) Name your workgroup something you will remember (workgroup = your mini lan) like &quot;connection&quot;. Connect to laptop. Reboot.
On your laptop go to control panel>network> Click on the &quot;identification&quot; . Type the name of your desktop (elvis, sybil, HAL, whatever you call it) in the name section and the SAME workgroup designation (&quot;connection&quot;) under workgroup. Close. Reboot. You should have a connection. Not that it works for me right now (it did) but you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back