Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Network and XP Firewall Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicFunn

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
US
I have a Home network set up, using a Linksys hub, with four computers on it. One of the four uses XP and the rest use Win98. All the computers can see and communicate with all the others just fine. The problem occures when I try to turn on the XP firewall. As soon as I enable the firewall the XP system disappears from the network. I can not see any other system from the XP system and the other computers can not see it. The other computers can still see each other though. I would like to use the firewall for more Internet protection. Is there anyway to get around this? On Win98 I could set up two networks and switch between them but I do not seem to be able to do this on XP so I am not sure if this would help or not.

The WinXP default ICF (=INTERNET= connection firewall) is only useful
for ports/modems/etc. that connect directly, and solely, to the WWW. In
particular it will block Netbios traffic, and render networking of the
PC impossible on the port/connection that has ICF enabled.

If you connect to the Internet via a router which has firewalling, NAT,
etc. built in, then the WinXP ICF is not useful .. although an
'outgoing' firewall (Zone Alarm, for instance) has some benefit.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

General discussion:
The following ports are associated with file sharing and server message block (SMB) communications:
. Microsoft file sharing SMB: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports from 135 through 139 and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) ports from 135 through 139.
. Direct-hosted SMB traffic without network basic input/output system (NetBIOS) uses port 445 (TCP and UPD).

How to Manually Configure Ports in ICF:
You would need to make 12 entries:
Port 135, TCP
Port 135, UDP
Port 136, TCP
Port 136, UDP
Port 137, TCP
Port 137, UDP
Port 138, TCP
Port 138, UDP
Port 139, TCP
Port 139, UDP
Port 445, TCP
Port 445, UDP

You can enter any description you like.

In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1.

In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the same port number.

Click either TCP or UDP as appopriate, and then click OK.

Repeat this process for all 12 ports.

Excellent post bcastner.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back