Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOIW TO FORCE NIC TO FULL DUPLEX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teletubby5e

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
US
I have an AIX server that is fed from a 10/100BT switch. The link light is at 100Meg but the Duplex is at half. I have used the ifconfig and the netstat -v commands that provide some information but nothing about the speed and the duplex mode. I am relatively new to the AIX world, but am trying to chase a source of collisions / retransmits on our network, and thought that I would start at the NIC issue. Thank you.

Jeff

Yopu can force the duplex/speed mode by :

smit devices / communications / Ethernet /Adapter /change
Characteristics and on "media speed", choose by F4 in the list the value you want to modify....

But before you should have to detach your network interface

Smitty tcpip / Further Configuration / Network Interface /
Network Interface Selection / Change Configuration /
Choose your interface ..
And in "Current State", F4 to choose "detach".

After changing your media speed,
smit tcpip / Minimum Configuratin, choose your interface and "enter".....

Don't forget to set the speed of your adapter in the SMS menu (at boottime), this one is often forgotten...

greetz,

RMGBelgium

Many thanks! That was perfect using the SMIT method. I will have to wait until a maintenance window to change and do the reboot. Is there aquick and dirty way to status it from the server after I am finished similar to the ifcong? to confirm that it wasn't set to autonegotiate or to half duplex/ Thanks again for the great info! Jeff

What is the difference between the SMS menu and SMIT?

Thanks again!

lsattr -El ent0 (or whatever) will show the settings.

You don't need to reboot for this change to take effect, you just need a litle outage (2 mins if your quick!!) to disable the card, change the settings and then enable again - but make sure the port on the switch is also set to 100 Full Duplex!

SMIT is used to perform system admin on a running system. SMS are utilities that perform tasks on a system in a preboot stage - like setting up boot lists, performing microcode updates, network booting etc...

Perfect ....

lsattr -El ent0 tells me that the card is capable of full deuplex, however is not operating in that capacity. so the smit command utilizes what i would normally use (the chdev command) it looks like. many thanks to all.

full_duplex no <== current setting

Full duplex True

got this from comp.unix.aix:

>changing the media speed of an ethernet adapter.
>
>/usr/sbin/ifconfig en1 down detach
>/usr/sbin/ifconfig et1 down detach
>/usr/sbin/chdev -l ent1 -a media_speed=100_Full_Duplex
>/usr/sbin/chdev -l en1 -a state=up
>/usr/sbin/mkdev -l inet0
>
>During the change you will lose connection on the interface.
>
>rgds, wijnand

What you can also do put the above commands into a script and then run the scripts, it only takes about 30 secs for the script to complete.

Hello,

to check at what speed you are currently running :

entstat -d en0 | more

and somewhere in the output you will have :

Link Status: Up
Media Speed Selected: Auto negotiation
Media Speed Running: 100 Mbps Full Duplex

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor