Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HMC using open Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa2nc

Programmer
Jun 9, 2008
US
I have a central site and 30 remote locations. Each remote location has either a P5-9110-51A or P7-8231-E1C. I have a WAN/MPLS connection to each site. My question is, can I configure a central HMC to communicate with the remote FSPs over the WAN if I disable DHCP and hard-code all of the IP addresses? I realize this introduces some degree of risk by placing the FSPs on the open network. Currently I have no remote console to the servers and this would be a good solution in addition to all the other benefits of having an HMC. I just need to know if anyone else has implemented this configuration.

I haven't implemented what you suggested but in terms of security HMC access what I did was to implement a jumpbox server at each datacenter that would have access to all the HMCs. Each jumpbox server in turn had the ability to access HMCs on remote datacenters as well in case of emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back