Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hmc dhcp reconfig for p595 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexia32

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
NZ
hi,

I have a problem. IBM have installed and configured few months ago our new hmc managing our new p595. They used their own switches etc to make test network config be sure the hmc can manage the new p595. Now I have to configure the network on the hmc, I have configure the public but for the private using dhcp I can;t it used the test ip adresses range and their is no range for my ip adress and I don;t know how to modify it...
Someone can help ?

Cheers
A

The HMC to systemP network is completely isolated from all your other networks, so why would you need or want to change the IP address range for that PRIVATE network?

HTH,

p5wizard

Hi,

Well because IBM use a spare IP adresses and now the real IP adresse allocated to this hmc private network is different and I have no choice to use this one.
So do you know how I can reconfigure the dhcp server ?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
A

Different? Different from what? I still don't understand...

As long as the HMC can talk to the FSP or FSPs on the SystemP servers, everything should be fine.

HTH,

p5wizard

Don't forget to reboot the HMC after ANY network settings change.

If you have been assigned network addresses by the network team that are not available on the HMC DHCP settings then make a list of available ranges on your HMC and go see the network guys and explain that these are the only available settings.

If all the available ranges are already in use in your company then you'll need to call IBM sales and ask for a DCR - design change request. This will probably take 1 to 2 years if they accept your request but it is likely they will reject it.

Otherwise your network team will need to make one of the ranges available on the HMC available for your HMC - Managed System network, or they will need to compleatly isolate your HMC - Managed System network but this still might cause all sorts of routing problems for the HMC and other users of those addresses.

It's really quite easy to isolate the HMC/FSP network: if there's just one HMC and one systemP, just wire them together with a crossover ethernet cable. If you have more than one systemP server (or a dual HMC setup), get a standalone switch or hub (or two). If you or your network guys don't want that, have them create (a) separate VLAN(s), without any routing to your site's other VLANs, the chosen DHCP range should not have any effect on your site's other network traffic.

On the HMC, set the default gateway to its appropriate address, and set it to route traffic only through its external network interface.

HTH,

p5wizard

Hi
thanks for the reply. I will try to explain...

We have a new HMC and 2 new p590 and p570. no lpar yet not yet connected to the network. Everything completly new.

IBM when they racked the p5 system and the HMC. They have to test that all p5 are good and the hmc also.
As at this time we didn;t have any network on this data center... IBM use their own switch so set some ip adreses on the FSP of the p5 systems and on the HMC to test everything...

Now (several weeks later) we have the network ready so I have to configure the network... I have done the IP of the HMC on the public network no problem but to configure the IP on the private network PROBLEM because there is no range available for my IP and each time it keeps the IP and ranges of the dhcp configured by IBM... So this is my problem...

I have rebooted the HMC each time I make a modification on the network.

The power5 are for the moment still power off and not yet connected to the network.

So I would like to know how to reconfigure the dhcp and use the ip addresses allocated to my HMC on the private network.

The link you sent me didn;t help they give the steps when you do it the first time but as it has already be done by IBM I want to know how to remove this and do it with my own settings.

I have tried everything I can but each time I select DHCP it keeps the information that IBM put...
so I'm lost please help

Cheers
Al

Hi

Thanks. Well I have change the range and ask the network to reconfigure the ports switch because the one they give me wasn;t on the list. So now it is working.

Thanks again!
Cheers
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back