Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HMC 7 Bug: HMC hangs at prelogon screen, no web access, CLI fails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreFeo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ES
Hi,

I've just had this problem, so I post it here for future reference.

A client has a couple of HMCs V7R3.2. After a reboot they both hang at pre-logon screen, web access also failed saying the console was not ready, and when login with ssh most commands failed with message: "connect: Connection refused. A connection to the Command Server failed."

We didn't know it, but it is a known bug in versions V7R3.1 and V7R3.2. They have a problem with log rotation, that let the log /var/hsc/log/hmclogger.log grow without limit (in this client this log grew up to 400M).

The solution is to raise a call to IBM support and obtain the pesh password. With this password you can gain root access (just for a day) to HMC and empty this log.
There's also an unsupported solution, booting the HMC from a Linux Live CD, mounting the internal disk and emptying the log, but as I've said it is not supported, and you can loose IBM support.

So now we've solved this problem, and we will have to plan the upgrade of both HMCs.

Link to this bug reference:
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back