Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hit Counter - How hard can it be....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaShard

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
How hard can it be to get my FrontPage 2003 Hit counter to work? (rhetorical Q.!)

My site is pretty pathetic - netwits.net - and I've had to resort to a third party hit counter at bottom left of page. I'd rather not but the only alternative seems to be yet another 50 hours researching why the FrontPage 20003 Hit counter won't work in that page's bottom left location.

Or' do I have to spend more $'s to get it to work? Or, does my Web host have to spend mor $'s?

My scrolling bar works across the top?

Thanks a lot for any help on this. I do appreciate your time.

How Hard can it be!

Hi Michael,

Honestly, I think the FP Hit Counter sucks. I have been using a third part HC for years. I always had touble with the FP counter resetting to 0 every time the server burped.

For the record, the FP Hit Counter is a component that relies on the FPSE in order to function.

If what you see is [Hit Counter] on your published page, then this is caused by missing or corrupt extensions.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

I agree, FP counter sucks. You can get free hit counters all over the place. We give away a free Perl hit counter on our site, see sig.

Mike Barone
FREE CGI/Perl Scripts & JavaScript Generators

Yeah, I think maybe *somebody* will have to spend some money . . . :D

Most decent hit counters need some script support on the webserver - but any half decent webserver will have that anyway (does your webspace have a directory called cgi or cgi_bin or similar?).

Have you asked your webhosts about it? You might find they offer it anyway, and it might well be as simple as a small piece of code with a unique page ID in it.

So, Mike Barone, about the free Perl Hit Counter on your site....

I can't get it to work after about 4 hours of trying.

1).. The perl counter is financially - no charge. This is good and also no scumware attached I see. This is good too. Seriously.

2)... The setup was easy but....

3).. where's the code to place on my page? where are the stats? where are the instructions for that?

4)... The login.jpg won't show

ya know, I've been at computers for 20 years and it's 'simple' code like this that makes me feel like an idiot.... I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this 'free' perl script to get it to show on my web page and get stats from.?!?!?

if someone can give me a pointer to the instructions or to 'what it's supposed to do' - that would be good. The pictures on your Web Page FAQ are perfect pictures but do nothing to minimise the time spent setting this up or getting it to work.

Thanks Mike.

How Hard can it be!

Mike,

I can't get your 'Free' CGI sript to work and I have no idea at all how it's supposed to do what I want.

The FAQ's and instructions are not giving me the info. I need to get this 'Free' CGI script to work.

My pictures look the same as the cgiscript FAQ page but....

where's the generated script to put on my page and 2)... I can't get that login.jpg logo to show for the life of me....

Any help at this point will shorten my life by a decade or more!

Thanks....

How Hard can it be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back