Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

history missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt111780

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
GB
Hello,

History is missing for several contacts all in the same company. We have no idea what happend to it. We do database maintanence weekly. Is there a way to get the history back?

Thanks,
Kurt

That depends on why it's missing and how good you are about keeping backups...

Review your GoldMine error logs to see what might have happened to the history. Has it been missing since the last time you did your weekly database maintenance?

Doug Castell
Castell Computers
(310)601-4738

Hello,

Most likly it disapeared after database maintenance. I did check the oldest backup, about a month old, and the history was not there.

What logs do I check and what am I looking for?

So if we did have it backed up we could restore the history somehow? Just wondering so I can recommend we keep older backups!

Thanks,
Kurt

It's only easy if you know how.

wow, no one noticed that history was missing for a whole month? Then yes, you ought to keep older backups!

Look in the GoldMine contact file folder for file(s) that begin with X. This is a good indication that a database maintenance when badly.

If you did have proper history files, you can restore just the CONTHIST.* files (and then maintain all databases) and it might help some, but you'd end up with a missing window of information and some orphaned e-mails, etc.

Basically, for this to have been seemlessly restored, it needed to be caught a lot sooner than a month later...

Do you have any remote, synchronizing users? I ask for two reasons:
1. they might have a good history file with everything in it.
2. they might be impacted by whatever method of data restoration is undertaken.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers
(310)601-4738

What might be better is to restore to a different location and then attach that database. you could now copy the contact from the restored database to the current database by using FILE>>SYNCHRONISE>>COPY/MOVE RECORDS.

If you do this take a backup first.

so instead of loosing 1 months worth of history on all of you're contacts you'll probably gain a duplicate record and one of them will have the history in.

hope that helps

Rob
Si Consultants

Hello:

We have around 2000 contacts in the database and only about 10 were missing history. This is why it was not noticed right away. The 10 that were missing history were all from the same company.

There are 4 files that begin with x that look like this Xmp7115.tmp

We have no remote synchronizing.

Normally if a contact is missing then I export the contact from a backup and then import it into the current database. The problem with this is that it doesn't restore the contact history. Isn't there an easy way to restore a contact and its history?

Thanks,
Kurt

It's only easy if you know how.

from the backup, you can use the Sync function to create a filtered sync transfer set of just those 10 records with a cutoff date of 1-1-1980 and it should get you everything. :)

Doug Castell
Castell Computers
(310)601-4738

Hi, I will have to try the sync function next time a contact goes missing.

I have never used the sync function. Is it pretty self explanatory? Does it work in GM 6.0.0?

Thanks,
Kurt

It's only easy when you know how.

Well that's a loaded question.. I think it's easy, but then, "It's only easy when you know how."

:)

Seriously, it can have it's pitfalls... You might want to read up on it: It's really only changed marginally since then.. That manual should give you a solid foundation in the fundamental ideas...

Doug Castell
Castell Computers
(310)601-4738

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back