Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hipath 4kV8 NTP configuration question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinJ

Technical User
Aug 15, 2012
US
I've got a Hipath 4kV8. I'm at R1.19.3. I was shown a long time back how to set the IP address for the NTP server in YAST, but, if I remember right, that's not the place to set it anymore.
For the life of me I can't find where to set it now. I didn't find anything in the Wiki.
What am I missing? Thanks.

I found a note from the tech that helped upgrade my system that says: "No longer change NTP. Will corrupt XML file."
??

To check NTP
service ntp status

Putty SSH to eth0 of each processor:
Logon root/hicom
yast
'yes'
'network services' tab 'NTP configuration'

That's how we set it up in class in V6 + V7 ....
You do have to be careful with Yast though!
As far as I understand it, don't ever change time/date with the Linix commands.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

Yast changes are not allowed in V8. If you do it, will it work? Sure. But your config doesn't then match the XML file and is liable to be overwritten.

The only way is reconfigure the XML.

cd /var/opt/firstinstall
./firstinst-netw.sh -w

The line above recreates the config XML file.
Open that file in vi. Change the current NTP server or add a new one, You want an entry under node 1, and the same under node 2 if it's duplex. But if it is duplex, you have to edit on the other node too. Your line should look like below

<entry key="customer-ntp.server.0">192.168.192.1</entry>

Then save the file, and push the change in using the firstinst-netw script and your edited filename.

./firstinst-netw.sh -s ntp firstinst-netwtherestofyourfilename.xml

Do it on both nodes.
There is no loss of service.

You can check the change with
service ntp status

Sorry sbcsu and donb01 I was too vague. I meant how to change the NTP pointer, not how to create it.
I went to class for the v4 (on my V6), so it's been a while. I remember using Yast.
I was only able to modify the time in the V6 system by modifying the Offset. That can be done in ComWin, even in V8.

Thanks for the information Moriendi.
I'm afraid that it's a little too technical for me. I am not terrible good with computers. I tried looking around the system for the opt folder, but did not find the firstinstall folder under it. Under opt I've only got the "gnome" folder.
I was using ComWin to search.

So I figured it had to do something with Putty, so I installed Putty, and managed to get logged into COR-A using sbcsu's suggestion of "Putty SSH to eth0". I even tried the "service ntp status" and got a response, which showed I was doing something right.

I've even got to this part:
cd /var/opt/firstinstall
./firstinst-netw.sh -w

In the folder before I ran that (once I learned how to list files), there were these files:
fi-iso-image-version.xml
firstinst-netw.sh
firstinst-portal.xml.copy
recover-H4K.sh
firstinst-netw-HOST-(hostname)-SYS1-(mac address).xml
firstinst-portal.xml
haipsetup.xml

I noticed that a new file was created:
firstinst-netw-HOST-(hostname)-COR-A-(mac address).xml

Before I go any farther, I just wanted to make sure this all looked correct for now.

I'm looking into how to use vi.

Just to check:

...push the change in using the firstinst-netw script and your edited filename.

is done by:
./firstinst-netw.sh -s ntp firstinst-netwtherestofyourfilename.xml ?

Also, as the old filename has the mac address in it, does it matter if I don't have it in there?

Thanks.

That looks OK.

It looks inside the file for the MAC, so the filename doesn't need it, but it does need to start firstinst-netw like you can see it does. But why change it? Just leave the file as it generates it.

I would move those xml files elsewhere and generate new.

cd /var/opt/firstinstall
mv *.xml /tmp
./firstinst-netw.sh -w

That will generate a file with all the current config in it. The files you moved to /tmp, maybe they're right, maybe they're not, who cares. Just generate a new one and you know it is right.

Edit that file it has created and replace the NTP address. Then use the firstinst file with "-s ntp" switch like I mentioned above.

You need to do it on both nodes. On COR-A, change it under the node1 parameters in the XML (you will see common, node1, node2) Ib the other node, change it under node 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back